Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 4, 2011

During Advent Psalm XIV

Matins
Psalm 14
1. I confess the Lord, the most Holy Father, King of Heaven and earth, for He has given me consolation.
2. My God and my Saviour, I will be faithful and I will not fear.
3. The Lord is my strength and my praise, and He has become my Saviour.
4. Your right hand, Lord, has become magnificently strong.
5. Your right hand, Lord, has struck the enemy, and with Your many victories You have forced my enemies down.
6. Let the poor see it and be glad.
7. If you seek the Lord your soul will live.
8. Let the Heavens and the earth praise with the sea and all the creatures within it.
9. For the Lord will accomplish the salvation of Sion and the building up of the cities of Judah.
10. And they will dwell in that place, and come to inherit her.
11. And the descendants’ of His servants shall possess her, and those who delight in His Name shall dwell in her.

Here, from Robinson’s translations, are the Scriptural references for Francis’ psalm XIV

There is a reference for each of the 11 verses, as defined for us by Sr. Giles EFO

V 1 Ps. 86: 12
V 2 Ps. 86: 17
V 3 Ps. 25: 5
V 4 Ps. 12: 6
V 5 Ps. 118:14
V 6 Exod. 15:6.
V 7 Exod. 15:7
V 8 Ps. 69: 33
V 9 Ps. 69:35.
V 10 Ps. 69:36
V 11 Ps. 69:37

And when we refer to these we find that Francis has chosen only a fragment of each verse as his reference. Almost as the Popes and bishops do in their teachings, offering evidence that their expressions are not their own but the Holy Spirit’s or the Fathers’ of the church…

E.g. and most appropriately from the introduction to “Evangelium vitae”

“At the dawn of salvation, it is the Birth of a Child which is proclaimed as joyful news: "I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord" (Lk 2:10-11).  go to Evangelium vitae

So, you may well ask; where is he going with this and does it matter?


Ioannes Paulus PP. II  1995.03.25

No comments:

Post a Comment